POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Dragon Gate of Ho (~81kb) : Re: Dragon Gate of Ho (~81kb) Server Time
8 Aug 2024 16:19:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dragon Gate of Ho (~81kb)
From: triple r
Date: 6 Jun 2005 10:10:03
Message: <web.42a459226b14c2d820cb1ca60@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <t.d### [at] internlnet> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I thought this scene was ready for showing. It is tipically built-up from
> different sources:
> - main composition was built in Moray
> - The wall texture thanks to the proceduralize macro of Jaime Vives Piqueres
> - The giant heads are originally sPatch models by Anton Matkovic
> - the elephant comes from the Taschen collection
> - the banner was flown with ClothSym in Megapov
> - the figures were originally built in Hamapatch, then exported to Wings3D.
> I am working on more detailed figures in Silo.
> - the ground is a height_field from an image_map; then used also for my own
> Cobblestone macro.
> - rendered of course in POV-Ray 3.6
>
> Well... what do you think?
>
> Thomas

The atmosphere just doesn't do it for me.  If it were that hazy, there would
be no sharp shadows.  If it weren't that hazy, there would be much brighter
sun.  Look at http://www.oyonale.com/ldc/english/chess.htm for reference -
sharp shadows, bright in the sun, good aa on the textures.  The individual
parts of the scene look good, but as a whole it just doesn't completely
come together for me.  The ground is nice, but maybe a path coming from the
opening.  Perhaps a dramatic blue sky with a yellow sun, or cleaner fog
with area_lights or radiosity.  Good work still, it just needs to be a
little more coherent.

 - Ricky